Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas is coming....

And Sam is getting fat. Me too actually :) But my growing derriere is not what this blogpost is about....
On Wednesday night our new ward had their annual Christmas party. Santa was there in the beginning. Clara requested a caterpillar. She had mentioned months ago she wanted one- but she hadn't said a word since! I hope she's not too crushed when "santa" doesn't deliver....


Edie didn't care about Santa. Only Candy.




Later that night Samuel made his great acting debut! He was baby Jesus in our ward's nativity! Which made John=Joseph and I was Mary. Originally the sister in our ward wanted me to stuff Sam under my top somehow so I would look pregnant- and to wear this cardboard donkey thing strapped to my waist which jiggled as I walked. I kindly said No. I ambushed another sister in our ward who is actually with child to play Mary at the first part of the play, and then I was postpartum Mary. It actually went really well. Sam didn't scream or cry at all. He did however fuss at one point so I picked him up and he began "jumping" up and down on my lap. But besides that he was very committed to the part.






I haven't been looking forward to Christmas as much this year. In fact I've been rather bitter. John got stuck with working Christmas Eve all day. And then they didn't give him a bonus since he was new. Next year they said. I wish we had of known that ahead of time. I have also been feeling extremely overwhelmed with our house. We have gotten alot done (the basement is 95% finished) and its starting to look better (well downstairs anyway). But it still needs SO much work and we just don't really have the money right now to do it.



Yesterday I left my girls with a very sweet girl from my ward and Sam and I drove into Tri-cities to do some Grocery/Christmas shopping. The crowds were horrendous and I was feeling
like the grinch. I was in the parking lot when I noticed a family going out to their very old mini van. The mother was in a wheelchair and the husband so sweetly helped her into the car. She was probably in her early thirties- not much older than I am. I immediately felt ashamed of how much of an ingrate I had been. I have SO many blessings. For starters I have great health. I have TWO fully functioning legs. I'm pissed my husband has to work Christmas Eve? I'm dang lucky my husband has a job! AND I get to stay home with my children- I'm doing what I've always wanted to do. I'm actually mad about my house not being the way I want it to be? How many people can't even afford rent? I drove home in my reliable car and gave thanks to Heavenly Father as I drove. For everything- being blessed to be born a member of the church, for my kind husband who loves me and supports our family, for my three beautiful healthy children, our home, our cars and everything in between. So although I am still a little sad to be away from family and that John has to work more than I'd like- I'm thankful and happy for the abundance of blessings I have. I have more blessings than I can even count.

5 comments:

Nichole said...

<3 Joni! That is so fun that your cute family was in the Nativity. Thanks for the Christmas reminder to be grateful for the many blessing we do have! Miss you :(

Hannah Holt said...

Oh my holy cuteness! Yes, your kids are adorable. I think everyone gets mad at life sometimes. I'm glad you are feeling better, and I hope your Christmas turns out awesome.

Kat said...

And now I'm crying... Thanks, Joni. :) Really!

Chad & Bonny Day said...

Great post! Really made me more thankful for the things I have. What's up with the crazy lady asking if you could stuff Sam in your shirt. Hope she's not reading this. lol.

Julia Lelis said...

OOOOH EDIE, MY BEEF!!! :) i love that she's right up to the candy :) so cute. so edie.

Miss you wee ones:)